Shavasana

Today in shavasana sadness filled my body.. tears rolled down my eyes, as the class was finally over.

I had taken Mysore once before by this man. After my first class he said " second series I teach you tomorrow."
Are you sure? So soon?He has seen my practice once, but I am not one to pass up a opportunity to learn.
4:30pm
I came again the next day. I rolled out my mat, we chanted.. and I began. He stopped me after parsvotanassana- to begin secondary series. I knew the first few postures from memory. As time went on, I was becoming confused. He wasn’t guiding me. He was stuttering the words of the postures. He was so stern, so cold, so rough. He was more forceful as the postures went on. He took one leg, bent the other. Pressed so firm. He was pushing my body.. hips and knees in ways they weren’t ready. At one point I said show me, and he wasn’t budging. He just watched, and shoved. I was asking questions. I wanted to learn, but he wasn’t answering. I wanted to be anywhere but there at the moment. I tried to return to my breathe, to find peace. I couldn’t surrender, my guard up.. finally he told me shoulder stand.. I knew I was safe. I was very close to the end..yet I still felt helpless . I don’t know this teacher. He may have had a bad day, we may have had argument with each other in another life, maybe he thought forcing was how one should assist. I won’t judge him. It was almost like a car accident. Where time is going by so slow...every second felt like five minutes.
Shavasana came.. my arms fell out to the sides, my palms let loose..my ankles & toes rolled out.. my tongue fell from my the roof of my mouth, my jaw became relaxed. I found my normal breathe. At the edges of my almond shaped eyes.. water fell.. one after another. One after another.
I finished my class.. with gratitude.
"Thank you for teaching me. Thank you for guiding me. Thank you for showing me why it is so important to have a compassionate teacher & student relationships. I am thankful for learning from every experience I am placed in mentally and physically. Let each and every experience of mine guide me to make a more loving future for myself others and all other beings."
Ayurveda tells there are 6 tastes in life.. sometimes an expierence gives you all of them at once.
"One can teach basic skills without love, but to truly make a difference in a student's life, there needs to be love. Love sees teaching as an art where we explore different ways of connecting to subject matter and to students. Love brings patience and understanding, which are so important in teaching."
John Miller


Comments

Popular Posts