Green Turtle Cay Island, Bahama


Small towns will always be my favorite spots. They are personable, and relaxing is glass of wine away. There is no rush when being in Bahamian time. When things get done, that is the time of the scheduled completion date. A hour late for everything is quite early. A 3 mile long island, gave us enough days in town to shake hands with all the locals and their children.



little baby piggie, No Name Island

Nurse Sharks

Nurse Sharks 


Playtime con mi amor en la playa

This honey mama likes fingers too... probably shouldn't be giving her bread but if I didn't feed her she will chase you back to the boat! 

i just do yoga and lollygag...

he senses the vegan in me 

only time i wine 

what comes next ?










1 day old piggies 



We took the islanders little boat of terror over from Marsch Harbor to Leeward Yacht Club with our luggage and groceries. We stayed at Yellowfin house which was the best position to be sitting in. A five minute drive to the tiny town. Tip toe away from the pool, and a glass of pinot gris. Quite frankly, the Cay has the prettiest water I have ever seen. The water is crystal clear with vibrant fish swimming around all the reef glory. You can pretty much jump in any spot and catch your dinner (if you’re a meat eater). There a abundant amount of spots to anchor down and dive for lobster and conchs. Since, I'm a bit more peaceful..I found myself squealing about how cute the sea life was or startled under water (reef sharks). "Fish are friends, not food." I may have been tickled by a few barracudas over their love for my gems on my fingers. I told them I was taken though. Also, all sorts of loving in the pathways of the water are sharks, stingrays, turtles, and best of all piggies( Im not talking about the amount of toes on the shore lines either). We had a local take us to No Name Isla to visit the wild pigs. I would have revoked this mans boating license for getting us trapped in a huge monsoon for 3 hours on pig island. I recommend checking the forecast and to avoid getting beached under trees and water splashing your actual piggies. Despite my bit of sassiness .. I would highly recommend going to see these little cuties. I was more than tempted to stick one of the little pink ones in my bag, and bring it back to the US as my companion.  During your days on the water, make sure to have flippers and a mask at all times incase the boat cracks in half, or a sea turtle swims by and you prefer turtle shell transportation instead ( it might even be safer than a boat). Carrying squid became just as handy as carrying chap stick. An Essential. 
This little baby island is 3 miles long, making it the perfect track for a morning workout. I ran mornings, and then would do a yoga after. The gym on the island, is the ocean.
To put this lightly, I am a food snob (or as Johan would tell me, a coffee snob ). Now I do fear becoming a vegan has been the result of me and mixed facial squirks at certain foods, but I just want everyone to see that a life doesn't have to end in order for you to eat. I am roll out of bed kinda girl in the morning and reach for a turmeric, spinach, wheat grass, beet, blueberry, and reichi drink. While, conch fritters and lobster seem to be the blood of the Bahamian people by which I would become ill. Many of the islanders have lived off the free fish they catch during the day since they were born. I think that is resourceful that they catch there food right out of their front door, but I hate seeing the way they descaled and speared lobsters through their bodies ( I had nightmares some nights). If you have high dietary needs, like this girly I recommend stopping at the grocery store when you fly into Marsch Harbor on the way, and stocking up. Traveling with another family who liked to eat out, we managed to hit all of the  three restaurants in town. I ate a green salad consisting of the same vegetable (tomatoes, onion, peppers) almost every meal. Although things did get crazy when I added a side of steamed vegetables, or bake potato. What I love is to take the sides and dump them on the green salads and mix it together with oil and vinegar, or just add hot sauce ( since I'm not already spicy enough). Mix it all up..My favorite restaurant we went to was the Bluff House. A spring mix! What more could a girl ask for on a island for multiple days. I like a place dedicated to some delicious greens! My digestive system would flourish over some matcha tea at this point. The last night out they had a homemade vegan butternut squash soup. It was delicious. After eating like a goat the past 10 days, I was loving the warm soup. I am writing this two weeks in to Abaco Islands, as I have survived a diet of ensalada verde y vino for ten days. The last two days, I came to realize the coconuts on the trees can be cracked open and add a straw, and freeze the coconut inside.. so fresh As I said previously, I’ve become a bit of a snob. Long story short, if you’re a vegan convenience like me, stop at the market on the way to the boat.

If your in the Bahamas scope out Green Turtle Cay and No name, so much beauty in the land and water. The islands so small you can't get lost, which makes it even more tempting to explore every pinch of it. 


Comments

Popular Posts